Friday, September 24, 2010

Chicken Tikka Masala

Need I describe more?? I mean, it's Chicken Tikka Masala -- the synonym of explosion of flavors! 

My boyfriend and I sometimes liked to attack the Indian food bar at Whole Foods for its Chicken Tikka Masala after playing tennis on Saturday afternoon, when we're sweaty, tired and hungry with ignored state-buds screaming for flavors. We fought over the sauce every time! 

If you are like the old me, who was intimidated by hundreds of Indian spices, fear no more! It's very easy! This is the recipe I swear by, adapted from one on allrecipe.com. The result looks and tastes exactly like that served at Indian restaurants. Totally amazing! The first time I made it, my boyfriend couldn't believe I made the whole thing from scratch. Neither did I! Now I make more at a time and pack the rest into individual containers to store in the freezer. They freeze really well, so I can just take one out and heat it up anytime my craving kicks in!

6 servings:
Ingredients:
     For the chicken marinade
  • 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inches x 1 1/2 inches pieces
  • 2 cups 0% Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about juice of 2/3 lemon)
  • 4 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 4 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated ginger
  • 1 tablespoon kosher sea salt
     For the sauce
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 red Serrano peppers, seeded and finely chopped (warning: remember to wear gloves when working with those hot peppers! Or else, you will end up like me having fingers burning with shooting pains and I have to apply tooth paste on them)
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 teaspoons garam masala  
  • 1 can (24 ounce) crushed San Marzano tomatoes
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 teaspoon kosher sea salt and extra if needed
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional.)
Directions:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the marinade and let them sit in the fridge for 1 hour.
  2. Heat canola oil in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Saute garlic and Serrano peppers for 1 minutes. Add cumin, paprika, and salt. Stir and cook for 30 seconds. Pour in crushed tomatoes and stir. When it bubbles, add in cream. Bring it to a boil and set on medium-low heat until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Stir constantly using a wooden cooking spoon so the bottom does not burn. Use a ladle to skim off the as much excessive oil as you care.
  3. Heat a griddle or a big pan sprayed with canola oil on high heat. Discard the marinade. Grill (or pan sear) chickens pieces until just cooked, about 8-10 minutes. 
  4. Add chicken to the sauce pan and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add cilantro and stir. Serve with naan bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment